Wild rice is actually a grain! It’s gluten free and loaded with nutrients. The best part…. it can be eaten raw!!! You know what that means…all of those wonderful nutrients and vitamins will not get destroyed by high temperature cooking methods! Sure, it will take a bit longer to prepare so you must use those expert planning skills…I know you have them!!
What you will need:
- Large shallow dish, I use a 10.5 inch pie dish
- Wild Rice, preferable organic
If you are not willing to shell out a couple hundred dollars for a fancy dehydrator, then I recommend purchasing this brand, you can get it for a mere $50….compared to $200+ for an Excalibur. I’ve had mine for years and it’s still holding strong. I actually prefer to sprout my wild rice in the Miracle Dehydrator. Sorry Excalibur!
How to sprout wild rice, or better yet, How I sprout wild rice:
- Soak 1 cup of wild rice in 3 cups of water for 8 hours. Drain.
- Put the soaked rice in a large pie dish or shallow bowl
- Add 4 1/2 cups of water
- Dehydrate on 118 degrees for 9-12 hours
- Voila! Tender RAW wild rice. You can season/use it how ever you like! Refrigerate up to 4 days.
- Start soaking your rice before you got to bed.
- Drain in the morning before you leave for work, add water and stick it in the dehydrator.
The Stats per cup:
24 g Protein
10 g Fiber
10 g Niacin
0.6 mg Vitamin B6
150 mcg Folate
283 mg Magnesium
693 mg Phosphorus
2.1 mg Manganese
9.5 mg Zinc
0.8 mg Copper
603 mg Omega-6 fatty acids
4 g sugar
Enjoy! If you have a favorite sauce you think will taste amazing on the sprouted wild rice, post them below or email them to me.
Peace and Love!!